Saturday 28 March 2015

Don’t forget to sign me up for the NHL!!!

Tomorrow will be my son’s very last hockey game of his “house-league minor hockey career”. Personally, I hope he never gives it up and continues to play perhaps at university or pick up with his pals and maybe eventually join the beer leagues. We have had just as much fun, if not more, watching him play, grow and boy did we acquire a whole hockey family with us along the way.

He started out playing soccer at the tender age of three and a half. His first organized sport. I remember sizing him up against the other players on his team. Josh had an athletic-like build and was a strapping three and a half year old. Star player of the team I thought compared to the tiny team mates around him. Both my husband and I were ex-athletes and yes you could say “stars” in our own element. He must take after us I thought as I waited eagerly for the 1st game of his promising sports career to begin. As the other tiny little boys ran around like bees after the ball, there was my son in the middle of the field picking dandelions with another spectacled boy and blowing the fluffy white wishes at us with glee. “Go after the ball Josh” I shouted, half shocked at my son and half annoyed at the other spectacled boy who I was sure had distracted him from the game. Needless to say, his soccer career didn’t last long thank goodness and we eventually moved onto what became his love, all our loves…. hockey.

He started off half walking and half skating, going the wrong way, falling down every time he took a shot, but boy did he ever try and hustle around that ice. We found it! His sport became our sport and his love became ours. One night as I tucked him into bed he said to me “Mom, don’t forget to sign me up for the NHL (National Hockey League)” …..if only, …a lofty dream for an average house-league hockey player who eventually became the star player in our eyes. NHL was far beyond our hopes. We just wanted a jersey that fit that year!!

Josh’s hockey career gave us many great times, awesome experiences, drama…oh my word the drama that resulted from the passion of the game, incredible amount of pain when one of his team-mates passed away tragically, lessons that will stay with us forever and most of all it gave us a wealth of fond memories, life-long friendships and a wonderful hockey family. A family that can undoubtedly be counted on THREE things at any time;

1.       A ride to and from the rink

2.       Advice on all things, hockey and life, even when you don’t ask for it

And ABOVE ALL

3.       A RIOT OF A TIME!!!

I remember Josh`s very first goal…I cried. I remember his first punch right smack on the face of a bully on the ice…I beamed with pride…. he was nominated Assistant Captain that year and I was sure the punch had lots to do with it. I remember well when he was nailed against the boards and suffered his first concussion…. I cringed. I will remember his grin on the ice and quick glance at the stands when he scored, which wasn`t that often for a defenseman. I will miss sitting in the cold arena cheering or yelling at the top of my lungs. I will miss the laughs, the tournaments, getting told off by the hotel security at those tournaments to keep it down and turn off the karaoke. I will miss the pub nights after the game. I will NOT miss going to the games a whole hour and a half ahead of time, so my husband could prepare the game sheet and get ready to co-coach and manage the team. I will miss very specially watching my #4 Left Defenseman hustling around the ice with the very best of people…. our hockey family, our forever friends.

Tomorrow is his very last game. The team secured an overtime win of a nail biter to move on to the Finals. We all needed a drink at the pub after to calm ourselves down! I don’t know if the team will end up winning the championship tomorrow. Josh’s team won Gold the very first year he played hockey and it would seem a fitting finish ending with Gold. I won’t lie it would be just GOLDEN to win!! In any event, I know what outcome I can always count on…. lots of fun and definitely another awesome memory! Go Spits!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment